Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to RCNW.

Photo
- - - - -

FS Road 62 Cliff

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wallrat510

wallrat510

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, ice climbing.
  • Climbing Preference:Sport Climbing
  • Favorite Area:Sky Valley

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

So has anyone checked out the cliff that is at the beginning of road #62 just a mile east of Zeke's Drive In? They've now logged down to the highway and a descent cliff is seen if you look right. A short road leads that direction, but would take some bushwacking to get there. I've stood on top last year, but the base may be more accesible now.

#2 ZONK

ZONK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Climbing Preference:Any Rock Is Good Rock!
  • Favorite Area:Leavenworth

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

So has anyone checked out the cliff that is at the beginning of road #62 just a mile east of Zeke's Drive In? They've now logged down to the highway and a descent cliff is seen if you look right. A short road leads that direction, but would take some bushwacking to get there. I've stood on top last year, but the base may be more accesible now.

I seen that last week and almost drove off the road. it looks really good from the road and not hard to get to.

#3 rcnwnet

rcnwnet

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

Not sure which cliff you are referring to. Any pics?

Two weeks ago I noticed that one fairly large cliff is now much more visible than before the recent logging activity. Perhaps that is what you mean. One side faces east and another faces north. The top is pretty flat. The north side is the tallest and as you head south along the east face the crag gets shorter I went there with Jon Nelson in the 80s (We walked up from the highway) and returned in the late 90s with Dave Gunstone. (We walked in from #62.) Dave and I put up two top rope routes on the left side. (5.11ish) We also placed some achors more towards the middle, but when a chest sized block fell off while I was pulling on it we lost interest. Towards where the cliff becomes north facing the rock changes. There are some large corner systems with weird rock. I thought the north face looked like it was the best prospect for a good route but we never checked it out. We called the cliff "Our North Fork" because the rock broke away just like at the North Fork crag. None of our anchors are on the top. Chains should be visible on the left side routes.

#4 wallrat510

wallrat510

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, ice climbing.
  • Climbing Preference:Sport Climbing

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

Looks like we are talking about the same place. I'll have to hike back up there and take a look at it. I think there is a lot of potential further up road #62, especially since they are cutting down all the trees around the crags.

#5 rcnwnet

rcnwnet

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

Check out the North Face. :o The rock there seemed very different from where we were climbing. Now that you brought it up I am psyched to check it out again.

There are certainly a lot of possibilties off of #62.

#6 hohbomb73

hohbomb73

• Explorer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

Check out the North Face. :) The rock there seemed very different from where we were climbing. Now that you brought it up I am psyched to check it out again.

There are certainly a lot of possibilties off of #62.

I think Iclimb already bolted everything off of #62, ...don't bother :o

#7 Frankazoid

Frankazoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Favorite Area:None, Little Si/Exit 38

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

I think Iclimb already bolted everything off of #62, ...don't bother ;)

Funny I just noticed this thread. I hiked up there last week and was pretty stoked on the place. She'll shape up with a bit of trundling. I have plans to go back this Sunday to try and get something started. Unless it's done since this is from 2008.... Hopefully everyone pushed it aside :)

#8 iclimb

iclimb

• Explorer
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Funny I just noticed this thread. I hiked up there last week and was pretty stoked on the place. She'll shape up with a bit of trundling. I have plans to go back this Sunday to try and get something started. Unless it's done since this is from 2008.... Hopefully everyone pushed it aside :whistling:

not sure which cliff you're refering to, there is one up there that has a few sport routes and some tr anchors that i put up years ago. if you're as psyched on 62 as you sound, we should get together some time. i put in a lot of time up there and would be psyched to revisit some of those crags and hit some that no one else was ever inclined to develop with me:)
pm me sometime

#9 Russ

Russ

• Explorer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:21 AM

Is the road still closed off?

#10 iclimb

iclimb

• Explorer
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

Is the road still closed off?

yup
its too bad. i feel like if all the user groups (hikers, climbers) got together we could push to have this road open.
from my understanding, which could be off, the logging company (not the paper company that owns the land) are the ones responsible for the gate, citing that garbage dumping among other things, was one of the reasons. this makes me laugh. i spent probably 80 days up there the summer i developed the Lonely Planet Wall (formerly know as No Name). I would routinely see logging trucks and pickup trucks driven by loggers stop, open their doors, and dump all the trash they had lying around in the cab of there trucks. i saw this on a dozen occasions at least. not to mention that when a skidder needs its oil changed, they stop whereever they are, open the drain plug and let it flow. they then change the oil filter, leaving the old one right there in the pool of oil they just drained. walk thru any of the clear cuts and you find evidence of this. i found 1 such pool of oil about 15 ft from a good size creek one year.
they are blocking off access to public lands just so they dont have to clean up their act and so the local sherriff doesnt have to leave the sultan bakery and , god forbid, actually do some work to enforce laws against people dumping garbage or shooting up there.
ok, rant # 4619 completed.

#11 Frankazoid

Frankazoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

not sure which cliff you're refering to, there is one up there that has a few sport routes and some tr anchors that i put up years ago. if you're as psyched on 62 as you sound, we should get together some time. i put in a lot of time up there and would be psyched to revisit some of those crags and hit some that no one else was ever inclined to develop with me:)
pm me sometime

Yo iclimb- I would love to go explore and bolt stone with ya out there, but im getting on a ###### boat in 7 days, for 4 months... Theres so many projects I want to start, but times kinda up for me... When I get back in sept. i'll pm ya ( given the weathers good.) I got a few gems I'd like to share with someone who'll help put work in.

I was going to go to that 62 crag tomorrow, but the forecast changed, yet again. So Im headin to the Icicle to go boulder wrestling.

Hope yall have a good summer here. Wish I could stay. Like, REALLY, wish I could stay. :whistling:

#12 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

Funny I just noticed this thread. I hiked up there last week and was pretty stoked on the place. She'll shape up with a bit of trundling. I have plans to go back this Sunday to try and get something started. Unless it's done since this is from 2008.... Hopefully everyone pushed it aside :whistling:

Has anyone ever checked out that cliff you can see above the hill as you come around the corner just after the passing lane on your way to index about 3/4 of a mile before the turn off for FR 62? It looks like it would be pretty decent.

#13 David

David

• Explorer
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Favorite Area:Squamish

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Has anyone ever checked out that cliff you can see above the hill as you come around the corner just after the passing lane on your way to index about 3/4 of a mile before the turn off for FR 62? It looks like it would be pretty decent.

Looking in what direction? You can see Zeke's Wall pretty clearly from a couple of spots around there. It is pretty decent.

#14 Frankazoid

Frankazoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

Looking in what direction? You can see Zeke's Wall pretty clearly from a couple of spots around there. It is pretty decent.

I think it would be safe to say that many things that are visable from roads have been checked out, or been bushwacked to sometime in the past, but being developed is a whole nutha' thing.
Lots of stuff that people hike out to turn out to be " just ok" looking, and get passed up cause its just ok and required a strenuous bushwack. With lots of work (trundling, trail work etc..) there could be many little crags all over the place. A lot of folks would rather put energy into crags that are fairly clean to begin with, have bomber rock with minor trundling, and that have reasonable approaches with minor trail work needed. It comes down to if it's worth it for you and your personal climbing. Are you willing to start a project on crag that needs a lot of work, with a hell like approach and then finish the job? That kind of stuff is everywhere. Just my own 2 cents.

#15 dalonso

dalonso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Climbing Preference:Trad. Climbing

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

FS 62 was still gated this weekend, by the way. This is to the SE(?)/left or FS 62 above the first big switchback. It's way beyond my climbing abilities (i.e. I could flap  my arms and fly before I could climb that), but has anyone checked it out?

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010179.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users