Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to RCNW.

Photo
- - - - -

No Name Crag

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 stumbling goat

stumbling goat

• Explorer
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Climbing Preference:Any Rock Is Good Rock!
  • Favorite Area:Other

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

Gonna try it tomorrow. Ill take pics and post a TR if all goes well. Hopefully I can find it.

Look for the overgrown road (as pictured in a prior post just beyond a parked car) maybe 50 yds past where: the road turns south, you loose the view of the Sky Valley, and there's a bit of a campsite on the outside of the curve. The entrance to the overgrown road isn't very clear, but it should quickly be obvious that you're on a path tunneling through the growth. The path opens up shortly, then, just as shortly, leaves the roadbed, toward the woods on the right. You won't believe you're going to find anything worth climbing until you step by some rocks and trees and suddenly see it. It is definitely worth the stroll in. Quality you'll enjoy!
Don't shy from taking a brush to give a little seasonal cleaning to the top of things. Don't hesitate to rip up a few alder seedlings on the path either!

#32 flashclimber

flashclimber

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Trad, Sport, Multi, Bouldering, Snowbaording, Downhill Biking
  • Climbing Preference:Trad. Climbing
  • Favorite Area:Sky Valley

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the Beta. Found it with no problem. Trail was a "little" overgrown. Did our best to clip back the trees and blackberry bushes.

#33 RocksArePeopleToo

RocksArePeopleToo

• Explorer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

Eric -

I do not know the proper route names. I'll ask Chris, but I think he is out of town right now. Mike Massey climbed the short left side route. (and variation) I don't have his phone #. If you see him around ask him and post up.

I think the crag is named after the nearby creek which happen to be named "No Name Creek"

I ran into Mike on Saturday and we yapped some about this wall. The 5.11b/c on the right side is called "Bret Arete", after his son Bret (Brett?) who was born around the time of the FA.

-Eric

#34 flashclimber

flashclimber

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Trad, Sport, Multi, Bouldering, Snowbaording, Downhill Biking
  • Climbing Preference:Trad. Climbing

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

It's a hard 11. Lots of fun tho. Stayed pretty cool in the shade.

We did some trail maintenance but the 5.8 and 5.9s need a good scrub down.

#35 diego

diego

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Climbing Preference:None
  • Favorite Area:None, Little Si/Exit 38

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

It's a hard 11. Lots of fun tho. Stayed pretty cool in the shade.

We did some trail maintenance but the 5.8 and 5.9s need a good scrub down.

You climbing on them must have had some effect, because I was there on sunday, and most everything seemed OK, aside from having to blow off some stray needles. And thanks, the trail was in great shape!

#36 RocksArePeopleToo

RocksArePeopleToo

• Explorer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

David Tower and I added a couple more lines on the wall just R of the existing routes.  From L to R, they are:

1. Ghostwriting 10+ 10x

2. Jane Doe 11- 9x

We finished Ghostwriting by headlamp yesterday, and it still yearns for a leaf blower style cleanup and some prying of questionable holds near the first couple bolts.  If in doubt, stick clip the 2nd bolt for now and the rest of the route should be pretty safe.  Jane Doe is a lot cleaner, but a helmet for the belayer is still probably a good idea.

As the routes clean up more, we expect that they will become nice additions to the crag.  

Ghostwriting.JPG

The routes are chossier that those the main area, but overhang enough to stay interesting.  The image above shows Ghostwriting before we relieved it of some of its loosest blocks.

-Eric

#37 Jon Nelson

Jon Nelson

• Explorer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

This is the year I think for No Name for me.

I've finally ticked off a few other places from my list, and this is one of the remaining ones. And it is so easy to get to. 

Thanks for the cleaning and bolting! 

#38 Jon Nelson

Jon Nelson

• Explorer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

No Name area is on Mt. Project now. I'm not sure of the name of the first crag to be developed, the one pictured on pg 1 of this post.

Dave E says this crag was named Lonely Planet by Chris Henson. But I see that Bill Nickerson (www.mrbills.org) started clearing out the area and checking out access in 2002. He called the general area No Name. Whose name applies to the cliff with all the sport routes? 

On Mt. Project, I just wrote East Crag, Main Wall (the one with the 11c and 12a), and West Wall (where Eric and Dave T put up two routes), and Eric added Mine Wall, which is off another road spur. 

Is the next crag down the road called Six Little Indians and One Lost Arrow? Any more routes there than Kokopelli and Lish?

Any info on the area would help. 

#39 stumbling goat

stumbling goat

• Explorer
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Favorite Area:Other

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:04 PM

Some of you would know this already, but the gate to FS 62 has been locked by Weyerhaeuser due to their own logging activity and moronic behavior by the visiting public.  Nonetheless, it's still ok to go up there non-motorized and the hike in is pleasant and not far.  What I didn't expect to find is that the usual parking spot and the trail in have been obliterated with the reinstallation of the old road by the No Name cliff.  Not only that, the logging road continues past an then turns up the hill behind the cliff.  The somewhat confusing forest above and behind the cliff (that makes for access to the top to work lines) is totally gone!  Not that I have a big problem with that.  It's just a bit of a shock to walk through such a dramatically changed landscape.  

Anyway, if you go up there, you can waste a lot of time looking for a way through the (nasty!!) brush to get from the new road to the cliff. If you walk along the road to a point more or less perpendicular to the block of the farthest left short climbs (the ones that no one ever does) you should easily see the old trail leading through the brush from the road.  As of today, there are black corrugated culverts right in front of the trail opening.

On a final note, I can understand why open access to the area was shut down.  Someone had been living/camping at the base of No Name, probably until the bulldozers showed up.  I hauled out a bunch of the usual crap: tarp, tent, rat chewn bag, and dragged them down to a pullout away from No Name, for someone else (Weyerhaeuser?)  to deal with.  Other climbers took away more trash.  Once I got back down to my car, parked about 30 yds from the highway, I found that the the local  meth-head morons had smashed out 3 of my car windows to get into the trunk to make off with: a bag of extra food (like a nice warm pb&j), a bag of shopping bags, and an open gym bag with a towel and trunks.  Thanks morons!!  Is it any wonder that that road is shut down with that kind of low-life quotient crawling around the area??  The climbing's still good, but beware of the rats!

#40 gregk

gregk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite Area:Leavenworth

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your car windows! That is really a shame. No Name is a fun crag, though the atmosphere is now less appealing than before logging was resumed in the immediate vicinity. I was there in the spring and all was as you described it except there were not signs of anyone living there at that point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users